Businessman vows to reopen after blaze destroys clothing stock
The owner of one of Letterkenny’s best-known businesses has vowed to reopen after his shop was severely damaged by last night’s mystery fire in the heart of the town.
Leonard Watson of Watson’s Menswear told Donegal Daily he was left gutted when he arrived at his shop early this morning.
A fire in a car park at the rear of the premises on the Main Street had sent smoke billowing through the building destroying thousands of euro of stock.
Leonard revealed that he had just stocked his store with Christmas stock which must now be destroyed.
“I’m gutted to be honest as we had the Christmas stock in.
“When I arrived at the shop and opened the doors I was just met with a wall of thick, black smoke. There is no huge physical damage to the shop but the smoke damage is very serious,” he said.
Five employees at the store have also been left shocked by the fire with Christmas coming down the line.
The adjoining business, O’Hehir’s Bakery, also suffered smoke damage as a result of the fire.
Leonard said his business will have to close for a number of days but he is hoping to reopen as soon as possible.
“Everything is up in the air at the moment but we will reopen as soon as possible. We will remain on the Main Street and get stuck in to getting the shop reopen again,” declared Leonard.
Photo: North West Newspix